The story begins around the end of the 1940’s, when a Scotsman, McKenzie, residing in Larnaca married a Greek Cypriot. He built a makeshift retreat in the coastal region, now known as McKenzie Beach, for personal and exclusive use.
This first makeshift of the area soon became a reference point for all Larnaca citizens, where they used to go for swimming, an area called “distant beach” by the citizens themselves.
The “distant beach” was the one by which McKenzie’s makeshift was built. The saying was “We are going to Mackenzie’s” or “Let’s go to McKenzie’s”. These phtrases quickly became common for local residents and then eventually all Cypriots and visitors alike. The name of Mckenzie stuck!